- No Reading Quiz
- Activity: Intruductions
- Intro to Syllabus
- Intro to WP, Sakai
|For Next Week:
Read: ID Chap 1, 2, 3
Watch: Setup WP Blog for Course
Create: ID Cheat Sheet, WP Post
- READING Quiz 2: Photoshop Toolbar
- Visual Storytelling Lecture / Photography basics
- Intro to Photoshop Project: Narrative poster. Use photography to tell a story. Choose a topic or individual that interests you and write up
- Class Activity I: Begin Tutorials…starting with Layers
- PS Totorials Assignment
- Photo Shoot of individual subject: Shoot 30 pics of a single subject (person). When shooting, consider the 5 principles of photographic design: simplicity, the rule of thirds, balance, framing, and use of lines. We will use Adobe Bridge to organize and edit these photos in class next week. Save the 30 images to a folder on your flash drive and bring to class next week.
- Readings from textbook: Chapter 3: Adobe Bridge, and 4: Camera Raw
|Feb 8, midinght
- Reading Quiz: (Download)Adobe Bridge Activity (to submit via email)
- Lecture on Image Selection: Copyright, Fair Use, and Creative Commons
- Activity 1: Portraits and Layer MaskWhat are the 4 Principles of Design?
- Activity 2: Begin Graphic Narrative Collage
- Continue work on Part 1 of Collage Assignment…See full instructions in Assignments
- Read PS CC Visual Quick Start: Chapters 9, 10, 12
- Read More on Creative Commons: Description of Creative Commons Licenses
- Watch for next week:Introduction to Typography and 4 Principles of Design
|Narrative Drafts Due…
- Reading Quiz 4: Copyright and PS Practice
- Lecture: Design Principles, Typography
- Working Session: Go to Assignments > Part 2: Narrative Graphic Collage
Need a refresher before you begin? Video: Add Images in Photoshop
- Keep Working on draft and complete peer feedback (view the Assignment / Submission guidelines), there are 2 deadlines for your draft.
- Watch: Video on Balance in Design
- Read: Chapter15 on Retouching, 16 on Refocusing, and 18 on Filters
- Optional: Practice Drawing Paths with the Pen Tool in Photoshop…we will work with this next week and some interesting effects/filters
|Narrative Draft Due on Friday.
Discussion Forum: Peer feedback due on Sunday Night!
- Go to Sakai Assignments for Reading Quiz 5: Refocus with filters
- Draft Collage In-Class Critique and WRAP UP (yay!)
- Lecture and Demo: Introduction to Adobe IllustratorConcurrent Activities: Update Draft Collage OR AI IN-CLASS Tutorials (different from the homework files).
- Complete Collage Design: see full Assignment in Sakai for details and deadlines
- Download & Complete AI Tutorials and submit zipped folder via SAKAI email, by 2pm next Tuesday
- Watch video on Visual Balance
- Read: AI CC Visual Quick Start Chapters 1 – 4 on creating and saving AI files, Working with Color, Work Spaces, and Panels (we’ll skip Adobe Bridge)
|Tutorials and Final Collage due by 2pm next Tuesday(before class)
- Reading Quiz: Chapters 1-4 (in-class handout)
- Lecture: Identity and Branding
- Introducing Unit Project: Logo and Identity PackageIn-Class Activity:Submit completed tutorials to March 3 Assignment in SAKAI
- Floral Pattern (ch. 6 and 10) Download and Complete the Pen Tool Tutorial
- Readings:Textbook Chapters 8,9,11. color, alignment, and transformBlog Article Understanding Gestalt
- Review Unit Project: Logo and Identity Assignmentthis gives an outline of all elements of the upcoming project, and important deadlines and parameters. While the finished project is not due for a couple weeks, the first deadline is very soon:
Creative Brief Worksheet – due this week
Thumbnail Sketches – due when we next meet
|Creative brief Worksheet due Friday night
10 Thumbnails/roughs will be reviewed in next class session.
- Reading Quiz 7: Instructions are in “Assignments”
- Lecture: Introducing Color Theory
- Mini-Activity: Clipping Mask with Text and Image Trace
- Working Session: Using your 10 logo thumbnail sketches, develop 3 Comps and a color palette for your client
Note: Comp PDF files due by midnight tonight–via SAKAI email
- Read: Textbook Chapters 12, 17-19 working with Type and export for different media
- Watch: Aaron Draplin Logo Design Challenge
- Practice: Pen Tool Activity
- Be sure to bring comps/variations to our next class session. Tue., March 24 – We’ll complete identity package in class, and submit all files then
|Logo and Identity Package due at end of class/day March 24
- Reading Quiz: Chapters 12, 17, 18,19(text)
- No Lecture!
- Working Session: finalize logo
- Develop Identity package/stationery set
||Finish stationery and submit by FRIDAY night.
We will Review these designs Next week
- Reading Quiz: Chapter 15 Activity
- Critique/Review: Identity \Packages
- Intro to Advertisements for Print and web / Creative Brief
- Read: Chapters
- Sketch 3 ad ideas
- Review the Baltimore Magazine Media Kit and Specs
|Bring sketches to class next week
- Reading Quiz: In two Parts…Setup documents/output for web, print, mobile
- Working Session: Layout print and mobile ads
- Continue working on ads, submit 2 files via sakai by midnight Sunday.
- Watch : What is Data Visualization?
- Review the InfoGraphic Assignment, and sketch out 3 design solutions.Select your color palette
You will complete ONE of these in next weeks class.
|3 Print Ads due Midnight, Sunday.
Submit PDFof infographic sketches and color palette to sakai
||Quiz on Data Visualization/ AI Technique
Review of earlier lecture: What makes effective design?
Working session: Design your infographic using preliminary sketch and color palette
- Read Chapter 4: Adobe Bridge
- Watch Using Bridge for Portfolio setup
- Watch: What You didn’t Learn in School
- Bring Flash Drive eith all projects to next week
|Designs to submit to sakai by midnight today!
- Intro to HTML for Designers
- How to mount boards
|Print and mount boards
Read and Watch: Create HTML Web Gallery Portfolio using Adobe Bridge
Adobe Bridge Web gallery
PSD Mockup Options for HTML Portfolio
- Lecture: Introduction to Your Portfolio
- Q&A about Designer Portfolio/ Interviewing
- Sign up for Portfolio Presentations
- Working Session for revisions (extra Credit 1-2 pts)
|Complete mounting boards
Review Portfolio Rubric
Create PS/Bridge Galler of images and save to Portable drive
||Design Portfolio Review:
- and digital assets
|Have a great summer!